Sunday, January 25, 2009

Time Marches On.

Hello all:
It's been a few weird weeks as I am sure you can all understand. Not only did my mother pass but sort of a Richards family monument was layed to rest as well. My fathers business "Don Richards Lincoln Mercury Jeep" finally met it's demise last week. I knew that last summer when the Lincoln store moved up to LaPoint and the building stood vacant that the end was near. In late November when they started sub dividing the lot DeEtte and I decided to go snap some pictures.
When I heard it was coming down last week I went and snapped so pictures of it's destruction in progress. It took years for my father to build his business into one of the finest of it's kind but only hours to put the final dagger in it's heart. How sad.I have to admit there was a certain amount of pride and love I felt every time I drove past. That was to me a garden of wonderful memories. A sanctuary of sorts. When I was sad and longed for the good old days I could always drive by and put a smile on my face. I remember my father teaching me how to drive there on Sundays at age 9. I also remember my father teaching me the value of not crashing into new Lincolns at about age 9 and a 1/2. I remember roasted turkey and bear skin rugs, I remember Pantera's, baja jeeps and restored Lincolns on the show room floor. I remember Christmas music on the intercom and seasonal pictures on the glass. For me there were allot of good times there. Let's just put one thing to rest though. And I will only say this once, I did NOT drive the jeep over the railing on the out door part of the show room!
Strange that it was knocked down the week after my Mom passed away. Maby it was her attempt at closure and the finality of it was a way for her to move on. I don't know. For me it is the close of a long chapter of my life. My only regret is that I don't have any pictures of the building when it was Don Richards. If any family members have pictures of when were were in business I would love a copy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Regan Duckworth said...

Good post.

January 26, 2009 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

wow. i can only imagine the memories did your dad teach you to never drive down jumpin jupiter at mach 20? i don't know that probably would have been something really good to teach one if not two very stubborn and dare i say stupid teenagers??? alas, all was well (thank goodness!!).
i am sure this closure will be good for all involved!

January 29, 2009 at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home