Wednesday, September 3, 2008

RIP Jerry Reed 1937 - 2008

Yesterday was a sad day for me. One of my childhood idols and favorite country singer Jerry Reed passed away from emphysema. Born March 20th 1937 he began to play the guitar and sing back up vocals as a very young man in the late 1940's. I came to know Mr. Reed in the late 70's as the bandits side kick Cletus "The Snowman" Snow in the Smokey And The Bandit movie series. Although I loved Burt Reynolds and his black Trans Am, I was enamored with The Snowman, his truck and best friend Fred. I think that movie had a large impact on me as a young man and it put me on the path to being involved in the trucking industry in some way. His black and gold Kenworth W900 with the "Western Trailer" was the coolest thing I had ever seen to that point and it still is. I remember crying at the movie theater when I went to see Smokey And The Bandit 2 because they changed The Snowman's truck from the Kenworth to a GMC General. What a jip!

My favorite part in Smokey And The Bandit was when The Snowman gets beat up by a group of biker because of his dog and companion Fred. When he gets out to his truck he runs over their motorcycles. One of the best lines in a movie ever "whats she wearin now?". Just ask DeEtte about that one! Classic!
Jerry was one of the finest guitar players this world has ever seen. I can't say which of his songs is my favorite because I love them all. Amos Mosley, East Bound and Down, Man Like Me, Guitar Man, Legend Of Jessie James. They are all awesome!
His music has been there for me in the good and bad times. It has had a certain place in the background of my life and I have been very thankfull for that.

Keep the wheels spinnin and beavers grinnin! Godspeed Guitar Man, Rest In Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

i don't know anything about this dude....but i do know you talk about that show all the time. i am sure he will be missed!

September 5, 2008 at 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home